Technology For Education
Afghanistan's public education system has made great strides over the past decade, as millions of girls and boys were enrolled in school, new teacher training colleges opened in every province, and the international community rallied to fund the rebuilding of the education sector. Yet significant challenges remain. The quality of education is marred by insufficient instructional time, poor quality textbooks, a lack of learning materials, labs and libraries, outdated teaching methods and unqualified teachers. There is no early childhood education in the public school system, and reading and math outcomes are alarmingly behind, with many children unable to read even in late primary.
We believe that information communication technology represents a powerful opportunity to address many of these challenges and to help Afghanistan leap ahead. We are innovating with technological tools to give teachers greater access to knowledge and information, and to help students develop 21st century skills. Our Technology for Education program works to harness the potential and power of tech for learning and teaching in challenging environments through the following projects:
- The Darakht-e Danesh digital library: a curated collection of nearly 5,000 educational resources in over 100 subjects housed in a repository that functions in eight languages spoken in Afghanistan
- DDL Lite: the "offline" version of the Darakht-e Danesh Library, installed in teacher colleges, schools and educational institutions across Afghanistan that makes the Library resources available in places without Internet Connectivity
- Internet in Afghan Teacher Colleges: We are working to connect Afghanistan's teacher colleges to the Internet, one by one
- DDL Courses: Full courses in Afghan languages in e-learning format available in DDL's sister site, DDL Courses -- all free and open
- Computer science and digital literacy education: We develop and teach curriculum on computer science and digital literacy education in Afghanistan
CW4WAfghan plans and manages long-term programs in the education sector in Afghanistan. Each program has several active projects at any given time. To see a list of current projects, hover over the PROGRAMS menu at the top of this page. A menu of all current projects will appear next to each Program name.